13 November 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Russian Folktales

Extra Reading Diary: Russian Folktales

I've enjoyed every folktale unit that I've read so far. I think that I'll like this unit too. I'm interested to see what type of stories the Russians focus on. I'm expecting some pretty grim stories for some reason.

The Dead Mother: Well I guess I was right about the dark/grim stories. I'm impressed by how much story was crammed in into a very short text. I wonder why this is a story that was told often. I suppose that long ago there were more deaths during childbirth. This is quite a haunting story for mothers to hear.

File:John conolly grave 67.jpg
Grave of Dead Mother
Source: Wikipedia Commons

The Treasure: I really liked this story. I thought it was interesting to see that the pope was actually the greedy one in the story. I also liked how the story ended. I think having justice served in the end is the best part. The setting felt distinctly Russian. I think it was mainly that it took place in winter. That really solidified the Russian aspect for me. I think the author did a great job of crafting the story. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, Blake!

I chose you as one of my extra credit blogs because you’ve always left some great comments on my stories. I just wanted to thank you again if I haven’t already!

I had planned on reading the Russian unit for Week 14 and judging by your post, it’ll be a sad week. I hope your semester and your novel is continuing to go well!

-Kirsten