10 November 2015

Reading Diary B: Beowulf

Reading Diary B: Beowulf

The really enjoyed the first half of this unit, so I'm expecting great things from the second half. I like Beowulf's character and I'm hoping that he doesn't meet a tragic end.

The Arrival of the Dragon: I liked how the author described the peaceful period for Beowulf and his people. It was crucial to paint a very happy picture, so this next adventure could come in and break that up. The way the story is going reminds me of The Hobbit. There is a big dragon with a lot of gold and now the king is going to try to take it from him. I'm interested to see how Beowulf approaches the situation.

My favorite character in this section was the stranger who brought the news to Beowulf. He was described perfectly and his character ushered in a new challenge for the King.

The Dragon
Source: illustration by A. R. Skelton
Battle with the Dragon: The detail in describing the dragon was incredible. I felt like I was really there watching the battle. I'm impressed with the description of the battle also. I wondered how Beowulf was going to fight and I got my answer. I think my hope that Beowulf would not have a tragic ending is not going to be fulfilled, but maybe he'll surprise me!

The End of Beowulf: Well he did have a tragic ending, but at least the dragon was defeated. I like that Beowulf stayed true to himself until the end, unlike the other barons. His legend lives on! I quite enjoyed this entire unit and I'm glad I finally got to read this full story.

No comments: