09 November 2015

Reading Diary A: Beowulf

Reading Diary A: Beowulf

I don't know much about the story of Beowulf. I didn't get a chance to read it in high school so I'm excited that I'm finally getting the chance to do so. I know that there was a movie made about it maybe five or so year ago, so I'd be interested in watching that this week while I read the unit! I'm hoping that the "wulf" means that there are going to be some werewolves, but I won't hold my breath.

King Hygelac of Geatsland: I'm already in love with the setting the storyteller has described. There are so many places that this story could go. The kingdom that they described reminded me a little bit of the Eragon series. Although this is a short story, it sets the rest of the unit up perfectly. I know exactly what type of characters I'm dealing with. And I know the types of problems that they are likely to run into. I'm excited to continue.
Ship At Sea
Source: The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs with illustrations by Henry Pitz (1933)
The Young Beowulf: The thing that strikes me about the stories in this unit is the beautiful descriptions. I'm a fan of Beowulf at the moment, because he seems so misunderstood. Even though he is really strong, he is king of the underdog because so many people are against him. I look forward to seeing where Beowulf goes in this story. There are only a few lines that let the reader into Beowulf's mind, but they give a perfect description of his thoughts and I feel like I'm on his side and I know how he operates. That just shows the skill of the storyteller for being able to get readers to like his characters so quickly.

No comments: