29 October 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Marriage Tales

Extra Reading Diary: Marriage Tales

I'm continuing my reading of marriage tales for my Extra Reading Diary. I enjoyed the first half of the unit and I expect the second half will be just as great!

The Dog-Husband: When I read this title I was a little suspicious that it could have to do with werewolves, but I thought it was probably just my imagination. But I was right! Although the story doesn't mention werewolves, there are humans who can turn into dogs. I thought it was a very clever and interesting idea to have the main character have a man (werewolf) lover who stayed disguised in his dog form so he could be with her. It was a bit uncomfortable when the children were born as dogs, but I guess that played into the story later. Overall, I really liked this concept.

The Youth Who Joined The Deer: This story was nothing like I expected. These shapeshifter stories never end! I thought this story was amazing. I did find it odd that the man like deer so much at first and yet he still killed them. But it fit in perfectly with the ending of the story. I think this is a beautiful way to look at nature. I also found the concept interesting that deer would sacrifice themselves for their people, but they were always revived. I think it would be an interesting concept if a deer volunteered to be killed, but someone stole his bones so they couldn't bring him back. These marriage tale stories are right up my alley!

Deer
Source: Wikipedia Commons

No comments: