27 October 2015

Reading Diary A: Marriage Tales

Reading Diary A: Marriage Tales

I'm always interested in how different cultures look at love and marriages. In today's society we are so used to the idea of people having soulmates that the thought of an arranged marriage is barbaric. I think that it differs on the time period and it's interesting to see how people have adjusted to their cultures and customs.

The Piqued Buffalo-Wife: I found this to be an interesting story. I like stories about shapeshifters and I didn't expect this story to include it. I liked how the mother and son were both buffalos, but the father was still human. It's interesting to see that the man wasn't horrified or worried that his wife was different than him. Most people are scared of the unknown. I also like when characters have to go through a series of trials to get what they want. I can see this story being told around a bonfire, and those are my favorite kind.

Indian Woman
Source: photo by Edward Curtis

Bear-Woman and Deer-Woman: With the buffalo story, I expected this story to be similar, but was pleasantly happy to find that it wasn't. I like stories where animals interact with each other and are able to talk. I like the dimensions and character that each animal had.

No comments: