01 October 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Folklore Of Laos

Extra Reading Diary: Folklore Of Laos

I chose to read about the Folklore of Laos for my extra reading. I don't know much about Laos, other than that it's a small country in Asia. I picked the photograph below because it relates to my first story and gives a setting to the little-known country.

Luang Prabang Mountain Range
Source: Wikipedia Commons
A Child Of The Woods: There is something soft and innocent about this story that I really enjoyed. I too have felt that it'd be a relief to get away from society and live only with nature. (Honestly though I don't think I'd survive very long) I liked that this story was more rooted in nature than in magic. I think that sometimes magic can lessen the meaning of stories because it explains things away easily. The author of this story did a good job of describing the jungle and made me feel as if I was on the journey with the main character.

The Man In The Moon: My favorite part of this story was the moral: everyone wants what they don't have. I think it's easy to see all the bad things in our life rather than appreciating where we're at and all the blessings we've been given. The main character is constantly complaining of his place. He's not content to be a stone, the sun, or a blacksmith. If one is not content with themselves, they won't be content with anything they do. The ending was a little disappointing, but I understand that it needed to end the way it did to make a point.

No comments: