02 December 2015

Reading Diary B: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman)

Reading Diary A: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman)

I'm excited about reading the second part of this unit. There are quite a few stories that I haven't heard of and just from the title they seem very interesting. I'm expecting some great stories!

Eve's Unequal Children: I read the Adam and Eve unit early on in the semester so it's nice to come full circle and find out a little bit more about their story. I think this story is an interesting take on people's destiny. Not everyone can be the king or president, but there have to be the lower-class workers. Although it seems unfair to me that it is that way, there is no changing it. I enjoyed this story and it had an outcome that I did not expect. I thought that the Lord would be angry with Eve for hiding away her ugly children.

Eve and Her Unequal Children
(illustration by Otto Ubbelohde)

The Peasant and the Devil:  I really enjoyed this story. It's not often that you hear of the devil being tricked. It's usually the other way around. I like that the roles of trickster were switched in this story. And since the peasant is an underdog, the reader will immediately be rooting for him, even if he is a clever trickster.

No comments: