01 December 2015

Reading Diary A: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman)

Reading Diary A: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman)

I've heard of the Brothers Grimm, but haven't actually read any of their stories. There are some obvious stories in this unit that I've already read, but I think I'd like to focus on the ones that are unfamiliar to me.

The Wolf and Seven Young Kids: I honestly thought it was going to be about human children, not goats, but really that's my bad. As always I'm tempted to read anything that has the mention of wolves and this story was no exception. Besides the mention of the wolf, the number of goats also immediately got me interested. I like stories that deal with important numbers, like three or seven. The seven dwarfs and the three beds that Goldilocks tries out are two examples of this. I first of all liked how the wolf was able to disguise his voice. I'd be interested to see if eating chalk is an old-wives tale for softening your voice. My favorite sentence of the story was: "'If you will not do it, I will eat you up.' That frightened the miller, and he made his paw white for him. Yes, that is the way people are." I like that the author is telling a story but also making a comment on society at the same time. I liked how the story ended, really I liked the story from beginning to end.

File:Hermann Vogel-The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids-3.jpg
The Wolf and Seven Young Kids
Source: Wikipedia Commons
 Little Red Cap: I know I said I wanted to concentrate on newer stories, to me at least, but I have a soft spot for Little Red Riding Hood. I love that there are so many different variations to the story and each one has something special about it. This story was very similar to the first story I wrote about. It seems that everyone that's eaten by a wolf can but cut out and saved!

I enjoyed this unit and I look forward to reading the second half in my next Reading Diary post!

No comments: