29 August 2015

Growth Mindset

Before doing this exercise I had never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset. I would say that I lean more towards a fixed mindset, in sports and in school. It is something that has frustrated me in the past. I hate to lose more than I like to win.

I think one of the main reasons that I've enjoyed my writing professor at OU is because he challenges us to grow. In high school I always got A's on my papers because I knew how to write sentences and keep my thoughts in order, but when it came to creative writing I was a mess. Personally I hate failure so when I got my first paper back in his class I was devastated, but it pushed me to work harder than I ever had at my writing.

Especially when it comes to writing, I've always thought that writers relied more on creativity and less on plot and structure. You can learn to write novels and it's not always a natural skill. I think that the Growth Mindset is a great mindset for me to have when I go into my Writing the Novel class.

( Creativity is the result of Hard Work
from the Growth Mindset memes blog)

No comments: