28 September 2015

Reading Diary B: Chinese Fairy Tales

Reading Diary B: Chinese Fairy Tales

I was most interested in reading about the foxes in this unit. There were two stories in particular that caught my attention. (I mean, foxes and wolves are closely related so I had to be interested)

Fire-Fox: I enjoyed the story of the fire-fox. I knew a little bit about the creature from Naruto, but besides that I had no context for what was going to happen. I like that although the fox was angry, he allowed the man to keep and use his powers for a while. It's easy to write characters that see black and white rather than the grey in-between. The fox left the man better off than he found him, even though the man stole from him. It had a happy ending, which I always prefer.

Nine-Tailed Fox
Source: Wikipedia
The Talking Silver Foxes: The character of the fox is very interesting to read about. I like that they are sly and like to play tricks on humans. The foxes in this story weren't treated very kindly. They were killed for the tricks they played. I like the idea of animals interacting with humans more than they normally do. The foxes in this story could talk like men, which I think would be an interesting storyline to explore. The ending was sad because the fox-spirit decided not to show itself anymore, but I liked the story overall and found it entertaining.

No comments: