25 September 2015

Extra Reading Diary: American Indian Fairy Tales

Extra Reading: American Indian Fairy Tales

I decided to read the Native American fairy tales this week because some of the characters in my book are based off of Native American culture. Since werewolves are pack creatures, Native American tribes were the perfect society to model them after. I thought that having my werewolves have a rich history that readers could relate too would enhance the authenticity of my story. I also thought I could get some plot ideas from these Native American fairy tales.

(Native American Camp
Source: Wikipedia Commons)
The Boy Who Snared The Sun:

This is the story that really stood out to me in the unit. I really enjoy reading stories that have an oral tradition element to them. The story teller, Iagoo was really able to catch my attention with his story. I also liked how Morning Glory and her brother, Eagle Feather, would interrupt and ask question during the story telling. It provided more detail for readers. The story also incorporates my favorite legend/tale element: when they use stories to explain the way the world operates today. I liked the reimagined Adam and Eve of the story. I also like when stories describe animals with certain inherent qualities. My favorite in this story was the coyote, who was smart enough to convince the dormouse to sacrifice himself to save the sun. It's interesting to see how many of the same story elements appear in all different cultures.

Story source: American Indian Fairy Tales by W.T. Larned, with illustrations by John Rae (1921).

No comments: