13 September 2015

Styles

Topic:

My topic is going to be Werewolves Through The Ages: Ancient and Modern. My goal is to incorporate an origin story, a story set in Ancient Greece, and a modern story. There are many stories of werewolves from all different time periods so I don't think it'll be difficult for me to find inspiration. My criteria for the stories that I'm looking for are that they incorporate werewolves and have a time-specific setting.     

(The Werewolf Delusion
by Ian Woodward)

Bibliography:

The Book of Were-Wolves, by Sabine Baring-Gould (1865). This book provides a lot of material for me to work with. 
Herodotus, with an English translation by A. D. Godley. Harvard University Press. (1920). This is a short passage from Ancient Greek literature. It tells of a tribe of people that would all turn into wolves once a year. I like the setting and concept of the story.

Possible Styles:

Bedtime Story: I think it'd be interesting to see a werewolf mother telling her son the history of werewolves for a bedtime story. It would start with an origin story, then maybe an ancient love story and finally a modern story. It would be cool if I could keep it a secret that the mother and son were werewolves until the very end. The style would be the mother telling her son these stories orally so I would focus on emphasizing imagery. This will give readers a strong mental image of the stories.

Characters from different periods: This style would involve different characters from different time periods. I would emphasize each time period setting to distinguish each story. The werewolf theme would be the main thing connecting all of the stories.  Ancient Greece and the Victorian Era are two settings that I'd like to write within.

Soulmates: If I could create two characters that I really like then I think it'd be cool to do a few soul mate stories. No matter what time period these characters are in they are able to find each other in some way. Sometimes they end up together and other times they don't. I like the idea of love being that strong. The werewolf aspect could be a barrier to their union in some of these stories.

Modern Mystery: Stories of people discovering werewolves are always interesting to me. I would connect 3-4 stories through a detective (whether professional or amateur) that is solving a mystery. It could be them solving a crime or discovering that their friend is a werewolf. I would want to make this as realistic as possible. I want readers to feel like the story could actually happen to them.

All of these styles would be written in third-person, because that's the style I feel most comfortable writing in and it's the style I prefer to read.

No comments: