15 September 2015

Read Diary A: Persian Tales

Reading A: Persian Tales

My roommate is Persian so I thought it would be interesting to learn more about his culture. The introduction of the unit also mentioned that there would be werewolves involved, so I was immediately intrigued.


The Wolf-Aunt: I was interested in the story to begin with because it featured a female werewolf. They don't feature in many stories so I was happy to find this one. My favorite part of the story is that it's used to explain why wives don't like their husband's sisters. I also think it's cool that werewolves can be found in so many cultures. It creates variety and an interesting catalogue of the werewolf.

(Wolf, photo by Arturo de Frias Marques)


Nim Tanak, or Half-Boy: I liked this story because it involved magic and demons. I'm planning on using the Devil in my storybook so it was interesting to see the way in which a demon might operate. I was interested by the idea of a half-boy. If I hadn't seen the picture I would have thought he was a dwarf, but he was literally half of a man (split down the middle!). I also liked the trope where something happens three times and it is solved on the third time. It does a good job of engaging the audience and building suspense for the conclusion of the story. 

I also liked that the stories in this half of the unit started and ended with the same lines. It brought continuity the stories. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like your reading diaries because they seem very natural and conversational. You give your opinions as well as a little bit of what it is about, which is probably very helpful when looking back. I like that your posts are not all identical either. I try to keep all of my reading diaries uniform as to how many bullet notes I put and where I place my image, but after looking at yours, I think the more natural and less structured reading diaries looks better!