08 September 2015

Topics

Topic #1: The Werewolf and The Devil
Comments: I am interested in all types of werewolves, but after reading my biblical texts last week I also find the character of the Devil interesting. There are legends that werewolves are men who have sold their souls to the Devil. I think it'd be interesting to explore and combine these topics.

Possible Stories:  I know that were are lots of texts for the Devil so I don't think I'd have any trouble finding information on him. There is less information on the Devil being involved with werewolves, but I found some on Pitt.edu in their electronic folklore site. I'd like to do a story that involved a man making a deal with the Devil. 

Sample Story Comments: When I searched through the Pitt.edu site I found quite a few stories that involved people either making deals with the Devil to become a werewolf or in this story's case, being cursed when given a wolf strap (that transformed them into a wolf).

Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Der Werwolf
Book Title: Sagen und Erzählungen aus dem Kreise Kolberg-Körlin
Book Author: F. Asmus and O. Knoop
Year: 1898

Also 
Sample Story: Israel and the Enemy
Book Title: The Golden Mountain
Book Author: Meyer Levin
Year: 1865


Topic #2: The Female Werewolf
Comments: I think that the viewpoint and history of female werewolves would be interesting to explore. There are many accounts of men being werewolves, but not nearly as many of women.

Possible Stories: I think it would be interesting to depict the life of a woman as a werewolf. Either her on her own and trying to fit into society or her place in a pack. In my novel I have a pack that is matriarchal rather than patriarchal, which I think could be an interesting concept to explore. 

Sample Story Comments: I like this story because it gives light to what might happen in a female werewolves life. A man traps her as a human, but eventually she frees herself. But not before having two kids with the man. I think this gives a realistic view into the mind of a she-wolf. 

Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: The She-Wolf
Book Title: Sixty Folk-Tales from Exclusively Slavonic Sources
Book Author: A. H. Wratislaw
Year: 1889

Topic #3: Different Types of "Weres"
Comments: I think it's interesting that there are stories of humans not only turning into werewolves, but also other creatures. When I watched Teen Wolf they had humans that turned into lizards and coyotes. 

Possible Stories: I think it'd be interesting to use different animals to represent the different personalities of characters. I also like the idea of a rag-tag pack that is made up of different types of "weres." 

Sample Story Comments: This story is about a girl who turns into a werecat. Like many stories her family believes her transformation to be a curse. The story has a sad ending and never really explores the origin of her affliction, but it's an interesting look at another type of "were." 

Bibliography Information: 
Sample Story: Lusus Naturae
Book Title: Stone Mattress
Book Author: Margaret Atwood
Year: 2014

Topic #4: Werewolves Through The Ages: Ancient and Modern
Comments: Werewolves have evolved throughout history. I think it would be interesting to look as the different ways they are represented. They have moved from a horrible beast to a more romantic representation. 

Possible Stories: I would like to do a stories of different werewolves from different time periods. They would be representative of the way people looked at werewolves during that time. The more modern wolf story would probably be like a Young Adult fiction story. 

Sample Story Comments: In Ovid's Metamorphoses, he describes how King Lycaon is turned into a wolf.
Zeus Turning King Lycaon Into A Wolf
(Engraving by Hendrik Goltzius
Source: Wikipedia Commons)
This is one of the early stories the gave birth to the legend of the werewolf. This story is an example of how I would tell an ancient story of werewolves. My first story would probably involve gods and describe how werewolves came to be. It would be a launching board for the rest of my stories, which would probably take place in medieval and modern times. 

Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Book I Ln: 199-243
Book Title: Metamorphoses 
Book Author: (Original: Ovid) Translation: A.S. Kline
Year: 2000 (Kline version)

No comments: